UNAVAILABLE FOR SPRING 2024
While we have young stool beds growing, in the meantime we import rootstock from Oregon. Aside from the headache (paperwork) of importing and distance, we are very happy with our supplier's quality, and are happy to offer small scale and backyard operations with rootstock. Every August, we prepare a rootstock order for the following spring, and our order comes up on the pool truck with all the other Ontario orders. Because of this, we aren't able to guarantee ship dates with rootstock orders, as we are at the mercy of the nursery and pool truck; the shipment typically comes in March-April.
If you require more than 1000 rootstocks, we recommend importing it yourself.
We offer the following rootstocks:
Krymsk 86 - Full-size:
- History: Krymsk 86 is a hybrid rootstock that is a cross between a peach and a plum, meaning it is compatible with peaches, plums, apricots, and almonds. It was bred at the Krymsk Experimental Breeding Station in Russia and is still undergoing many tests in Canada and the US to test its performance.
- Why We Use It: Krymsk 86 is a new but potentially promising rootstock that is compatible with many different Prunus species. It is tolerant of several diseases and some adverse environmental conditions.
- Soil: Loam and sandy loam preferred but some tolerance of heavier soils
- Growth Habits: More vigorous than Bailey, few suckers, develops a strong root system and has some drought and wet tolerance
- Disease Resistance: Tolerant of oak root fungus and less susceptible to crown and root rot than some other varieties
Graft Compatibility: Compatible with peaches, plums, apricots, and almonds
Bailey - Semi-Dwarf:
- History: Bailey was released from West Branch, Iowa and for several decades it has been the predominant peach rootstock used in Ontario.
- Why We Use It: Bailey is a reliable and cold hardy rootstock, great characteristics for Canadian growers where the colder climate can make growing peaches much more tricky.
- Growth Habits: Produces medium to large trees that are 90% the size of standard trees, produce reliable and and good-sized crops
- Graft Compatibility: Compatible with most peach varieties grown in Ontario
Shipping vs. Pick Up
Shipping vs. Pick Up
CLICK HERE to see how shipping compares to pick up.
Shipping: Every year we ship thousands of trees across Canada (except BC due to CFIA regulations). We carefully bag roots in damp sawdust, then box them and send them out via courrier. CLICK HERE to see our shipping policy.
Pick-up: We also have thousands of trees picked up from our nursery each year. The pick-up options is free, though you must wait until you have been emailed a confirmation that your order is ready to pick up, which will have further information such as hours, locations, etc. We really appreciate if you can make an appointment to pick up, then we can be as organized as possible during our busy season.