While we have young stool beds growing, in the meantime we import rootstock from Oregon. Aside from the headache (paperwork) of importing and distance, we are very happy with our suppliers quality, and are happy to offer small scale and backyard operations with rootstock. Every August, we prepare a rootstock order for the following spring, and our order comes up on the pool truck with all the other Ontario orders. Because of this, we aren't able to guarantee ship dates with rootstock orders, as we are at the mercy of the nursery and pool truck; the shipment typically comes in March-April.
If you require more than 1000 rootstocks, we recommend importing yourself.
We offer the following rootstock:
Provence Quince - Full-Size
- History: Provence Quince is a quince rootstock that was selected by the Institute National de la Recherche Agronomique's Angers station in France. It was released in the 1960s and became especially popular in Europe in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Why We Use It: Provence Quince is easy to propagate and has decent vigour. It is our go-to for grafting quince as well as dwarf pears.
- Canadian Hardiness Zone: 5
- Growth Habits: Full-size, reaches about 10-15ft tall, precocious, produces good crops
- Disease Resistance: Resistant to crown gall, pear decline, and nematodes but somewhat susceptible to fireblight
- Graft Compatibility: Compatible with quince, loquats, and most European pears (except Bartlett, Bosc, Seckel and a few others)
Shipping vs. Pick Up
Shipping vs. Pick Up
CLICK HERE to see how shipping compares to pick up.
Shipping: Every year we ship thousands of trees across Canada (except BC due to CFIA regulations). We carefully bag roots in damp sawdust, then box them and send them out via courrier. CLICK HERE to see our shipping policy.
Pick-up: We also have thousands of trees picked up from our nursery each year. The pick-up options is free, though you must wait until you have been emailed a confirmation that your order is ready to pick up, which will have further information such as hours, locations, etc. We really appreciate if you can make an appointment to pick up, then we can be as organized as possible during our busy season.